Rent Overcharge Claim (form RA-89)

Use this app when you think you've been overcharged for rent.
New York
Areas of law
Housing assistance and subsidized housing Renting or leasing property

For Lawyers

Duplicate this app and add it to your workflow.

Create your own copy of this app.
Customize with your branding.
Determine how / where data is stored.


***** For Demonstration Purposes Only *****

"I live in a rent stabilized apartment in New York and I think I've been overcharged for rent, what should I do?"

You have three options available to you:

1. You can start a lawsuit;
2. You can withhold rent. This will cause your landlord to sue you in Housing Court in what's known as a non-payment proceeding, at which point you can make a counterclaim that withholding rent was lawful because you've been overcharged for rent; or
3. You can file a Rent Overcharge Claim with the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR).

This app can help you with option #3.

An overcharge complaint does not involve any risk of eviction and it is the easiest method for tenants who aren’t represented by a lawyer.

This app is licensed under the MIT License by as of 2019.